Monday, October 15, 2012

Altoid Tin to a Sewing Kit

Inside of Sewing kit
Welcome to our Monday challenge at Friends of Speedy TV.  This week we are doing Altered Items. I have collected empty Altoids tins for a long time and have quite a few. But what to do with them??  I have thought about making sewing kits with some of the tins for gifts.  When I received the stamp set "I'm In Stitches" by Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Co., I thought again about making sewing kits but did not.  But when I was thinking about this challenge to do an altered item, I decided it was time to give the sewing kit a try. And so here is my result.....an Altoid Tin becomes a Sewing Kit to be used for travel or in a purse. The tins with a smooth top work best for this but there are  tins that have an embossed top.  Using an adhesive back paper made this a very easy project.  First I made a pattern to cover the top of the tin. I cut the cover in white textured  paper backed with adhesive and stamped first the Scissors with Versamark Ink and Gold embossed.  Masking the scissors I stamped the Pin Cushion and embossed with Red EP.  I filled in the design with a Green Copic.  I did the sentiment also with Versamark and Red EP.  I sponged the entire cover with  Distress ink to darken the paper. I attached a gold brad to the scissors. Attached the cover to the top of a tin.  Added ribbon around the tin.  I also covered the bottom with a piece of the adhesive paper (not shown). I then added my sewing kit items to the inside.

 If you enter the challenge this week you have a chance to win the Stamp shown below by Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Co. You have until 11:00 pm on Sunday October 21 to submit your projects at Home of Speedy TV.

Supplies:
Stamps: "I'm In Stitches" by MFP
Papers: DCWV Textured paper with Adhesive
Inks: Versamark, Copics Green, Ranger Distress Ink Antique Linen
Embossing Powders:  Red and Gold
Plaid Ribbon and Gold Brad from Stash

Challenges to enter:
Sweet Stamps Blog Challenge: Altered Item
Craft-room Challenge: Alter It
Party Time Tuesdays: Anything but a card.

 I sprayed with a protective coating to protect the surfaces.  I enjoy all your comments.
Thank you. Theresa

10 comments:

Olga said...

this is fantastic!!! I have trouble doing these! YOu are a ace at it!

Janine said...

Wonderful project - very creative use of the tin and brilliantly executed.

Payne Holler Cards said...

Great idea....thinking to try this for a co-worker for Christmas...

Angie said...

Awesome idea!!!! I was hoping you were going to show us some photos of the inside, so glad you did!!! Terrific project!!

jonim52 said...

Fabulous altered project, love this idea. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stamps

Davi said...

Theresa I love your little altered sewing box,,so clever and the embossed scissors look so real :)

Debbie Moran said...

Great idea. Beautiful little sewing kit.

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

The sewing kit is just darling, Theresa!

Katie said...

great project...love the idea...wish I had a cute sewing kit like that...

Ravengirl said...

This is very cute and a great idea! I can totally think of a friend or two who might need such a cute little gift!