Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Unabashedly Upbeat Challenge


Power Poppy Blog is having an exciting challenge.  The Unabashedly Upbeat Challenge is to see if the album cover above —featuring famed jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk—could be made into a card using one of Power Poppy's new digital stamps.  When I first saw the challenge and album, I just knew that I wanted to create  with the Tulips Digital stamp.
I took a lot from the album cover to create  my card - the colors, the layout, the look of the sketchy graphic drawn as an outline, and the abstract feel.
I began by opening the Tulips image in Photoshop Elements and tried to make it a more abstract look by using several different filters including artistic cutout, adjustment to posterize and sketch to create a photocopy effect.  I then adjusted the hue/saturation to lighten the color of the image trying to match the image on the album.  Once I was satisfied with the look, I printed the Tulips on watercolor paper cut to the size of my card.
After printing, I added a bit more color to the image with Copic Markers E00 and E50 and a Sukara White Jelly Roll. You can see on the album some white highlights on Monk's abstract image.  Now for the fun,  I carefully added some blues and violets trying to create an abstract look of  a tulip garden and other brushed effects.  I used Distress Ink Broken China , SU Orchid Opulence, Brilliant Blue, and Lovely Lilac and water color brushes  playing until I had the look that I wanted.  I even used the eraser on the end of a pencil to "stamp" the abstract tulips.  I also did some very light splattering which hardly shows in the photo.   I thought the Power Poppy sentiment from Azaleas stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black ink was an amazing finish.  I am pleased how this card turned out and what a fun challenge from Power Poppy Blog.

To hear some of Thelonious Monk, click on the arrow:

I enjoy all your comments. Thank you. Theresa

4 comments:

ChristineCreations said...

You did a beautiful job creating the feel of the album cover Theresa! Awesome! Thanks for playing in our Upbeat Challenge at Power Poppy!

Shirley said...

First, thank you for the video. It bring back memories!!! I love jazz. Next, your card is outstanding. What you did with the abstract corners and your images is really artful! Beautiful!

dpkennedy said...

Beautiful bold flowing color! This is so pretty!

Alshandra said...

Awesome card Theresa! Love the mix of colours in the corner and love your tulips! Gorgeous!