Thursday, October 10, 2013

Tomato Trivia

 

Hello! Why am I  talking about tomatoes and making a card featuring  tomatoes?  For World Card Making Day at Flourishes they thought it would be especially fun and fitting to extend a challenge that has to do with our corner of the Cardmaking World!.  We are to create something that represents or is inspired by our state .Well, my  corner of the world is Ohio and I thought I'd shared something you might not know or maybe you do.....the state fruit of Ohio is tomatoes.  Yes, tomato is a fruit not a vegetable.

Other facts: Ohio is the number three producer of fresh market tomatoes today.( This may vary from  #2 to #4 according to the report read).  Ohio is the number two producer of processed tomatoes. (That's what I read on the web).   The first commercially produced tomato, the pararon tomato was produced in Ohio in 1870.   Reynoldsburg Ohio (a suburb of Columbus on the southeast side) has a Tomato Festival and a Tomato Parade.  The fruit, Lycopersicon esculentus, commonly known as the tomato, was  adopted as the Ohio state fruit in January 2009.  In 1965, the Ohio General Assembly made tomato juice Ohio's official beverage.

The real reason that I made this card was that  I wanted to use the Flourishes' stamp from "Italian Garden" that I have never used and it fits into this challenge.  I used Memento Espresso Truffle ink to stamp the tomatoes on GKD White Cardstock and colored with Copics and Markers.  I stamped the sentiment with Stazon Black ink on a piece of acetate that I layered between the image and the pattern paper in which I cut a window using a Nesties Die. I then attached this to a card base of green Cardstock (DCWV Paper).  I am not sure why I used the acetate but wanted the sentiment to show over the image?

Hope you enjoyed reading about the tomato in Ohio.  Do not write me if you disagreed with the rankings that I quoted........ just sharing what I read for fun.
I enjoy your comments.
 Thank you. Theresa

2 comments:

ChristineCreations said...

Oh Theresa! I love that the state fruit is a tomato and that you used it as your inspiration! SO great! Thanks so much for playing with our WCMD challenge, its such a fun card!

Allison Cope Israels said...

Wow... who knew that tomatoes were the state fruit for Ohio?! Cool! You did a fabulous job on your colouring and card design Theresa. Thanks for playing along with our World Card Making Day Challenge!