Monday, May 28, 2012

Friends of Speedy TV Challenge

At Friends of Speedy TV this week, the challenge is to Try a New Technique.  I have been reading several tutorials about water coloring with Distress Inks and thought I'd give that a try with some stamps from  Mark's Finest Papers . The first card was not so good....see below....I inked the stamp directly with the distress inks, stamped on watercolor paper and then colored using a water brush.  Final Card on left-I then tried stamping the image with a black archival ink on the same paper and colored the image using a water brush (no water) with the same distress inks dipping the brush in a bit of water and then into the  inks smeared  on an acrylic block used as a palette. I love how you can blend shades of the same color by varying amount of water used.  I liked this image better and used it in my finished card. Tore the edges and added a bit of the distress ink. Placed this on the card base, added some gemstones and a sentiment also stamped in Distress Ink.

My first try with water coloring with Distress Ink shown below. Used some Picket Fence White and Barn Red highlights. Card is unfinished ....just photographed to show comparison.
 
Supplies for the card at top:
Stamps: Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Co. "Daffodil Greetings" and sentiment from "Oopsy Daisy"
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black, Distress Inks Crushed Olive, Wild Honey, Tea Dye
Paper: Canson Watercolor paper, DCWV Chartreuse
Spellbinders Die
Dewdrops

For those who enter the challenge at Speedy TV this week, you have a chance to win "North American Woods" a MFP, a Heinrich Co stamp set shown below:

 
 I took a little from several tutorials to come up with the technique that I used coloring with Distress Inks; therefore I can not give any one source the credit.

I think I will be doing more of this water coloring.

 I enjoy all your comments. Thank you. Theresa

6 comments:

The Other Patti Sue said...

Absolutely beautiful! Looks like you mastered the technique!

Janine said...

I like both your pieces - it shows how different the results are when you stamp in distress inks rather than black.

Davi said...

Both cards are great but I especially love the first on. I think you did a fab job with the coloring ;)

Benzi said...

Very pretty, Theresa. I love watercoloring but haven't done it with distress inks yet. Those two are very different...glad you showed both es.

Designing with Debbie said...

Cool card. I need to try this technique.

Ravengirl said...

Theresa, this is lovely! Your depth of shading looks marvelous!