Friday, March 30, 2012

Steampunk - A New Genre For Me


At Sugar Creek Hollow, the challenge is to make a Steampunk card. First I had to read up on what is Steampunk....seems Steampunk is a genre which came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s and incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, etc according to Wikipedia. I also found more information from reading and viewing the Sugar Hollow Design Team's cards and blogs. The digital graphics that I used were found on Graphics Fairy and Steampunk Foundry, both great sources of digital images. I was a bit out of my comfort level but think I ended up with the Steampunk look.

I was trying to use some black twine laying on my work area when my husband suggested wrapping it around the cogwheels....what a great idea! Thanks, DH!  I liked the look of the man in goggles that I saw at Sugar Hollow and had to use it.

Challenges:
Sugar Creek Hollow: Steampunk Card. Used vintage image and distressing on card.
Crafty Catz Weekly: Use digi image. Cogwheels, Camera, and Man are all digitals.
CRAFT Challenge: Use things with wheels.  I not sure they intended this kind of wheels, but Cogwheels are real wheels.
Simon Says Stamp: Anything Goes.
Tuesday Throwdown: Challenge is "outside of the box." Have part of your image outside of the frame. The man with goggles extends off the card.


Supplies:
Digital Images: Man and Camera from Graphics Fairy: Cogwheels from Steampunk Foundry

Paper: Gold Metallic CS, Pattern Paper from Teresa Collins' World Traveler Pad
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink Antique Lace
Brads: Tim Holtz
Black Plastic screws and twine-recycled items
3D Dimensionals

I hope you enjoy my attempt at STEAMPUNK!  Something new for me.
I enjoy all your comments. Thank you. Theresa

13 comments:

Sylvia x said...

great take on the wheels challenge at CRAFT challenges...love a bit of steampunk..well done

Sylvia x

The Other Patti Sue said...

I say you totally nailed it! Great card!

The Wired Angel said...

You are not alone, Theresa. I had to go to Wikipedia to look up Steampunk also.. he-he.

Your card is perfect for our challenge at Sugar Creek Hollow and your husband's idea is great.. !! Thanks so much for joining us. We'll have a new challenge tomorrow, so please check back. Peggy x

Patti P. said...

Theresa, way to go...this is perfect for our challenge and tell DH that his idea was the greatest. Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow.

Patti SCH/DT

Betty Benton said...

This is just awesome, Theresa! How nice to have your hubby helping out!!

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Theresa
A fabulous card,thankyou for joining us this week at CRAFTYCATZ
Hugs Dianne xx DT

Holly Young said...

WOW, you did a terffic job!!!!!! Amazing card!!!!!!!

Holly SCH DT

Sheryl Hare said...

Well done Theresa you did a brilliant job! Its always good to try new genres. Thanks for joining us at CRAFT this week. Good luck Sheryl xx

Janette said...

Your card is just brilliant, thanks for sharing it with us at CraftyCatz this week.xx

Yolanda said...

Steampunk--what a challenge! I like your goggle man. Thanks for playing along with Tuesday Throwdown this week.

Helen said...

Fabulous job on the Steampunk card - so many fun elements to this Genre. Thankyou so much for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown this week!

Trimgym said...

Great project, thank you for joining us at CRAFT Challenge this week and good luck! Don't forget to check back with us again on Thursday for our new challenge and to check if you have won or made our Top3.

Jo and Tigerlover.

debby4000 said...

oh this is fabulous, love all the steampunk.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps Challenge.
luv
Debby