Friday, September 9, 2011

Trash to Treasure

 I spent a lot of time on this card...not so much making the card but time spent deciding what to use on the card.  Sugar Creek Hollow's TRASH TO VINTAGE TREASURE challenge was to make a project that turns throw-away items into a vintage treasure. I save a lot of "stuff" thinking I can use it for a project some day so I had items to choose from for this card. I had some pattern vellum paper I saved from a Cadillac Book from a dealer...this book was beautiful and had more than 10 or more pages of lovely vellum. I still had some pages left with a dark red pattern that I used. Also pulled out some gold foil that was saved from a cigarette pack...actually my DH saved for me.
I used a Vintage Santa digi image from Paulette at Create with TLC that I printed and colored with Copics and aged with Antique Linen Distress Ink....wanted it to look like it was a very old  print. Cut this out with Spellbinders Label 4.  For the background behind the image, I used crumpled gold foil with torn velum that I embossed the edge with CB EF. This vellum is much prettier IRL.  Attached to card base of Cranberry CS. Finished with old buttons and twine.  Kept the design fairly simple so would hightlight the vellum and gold foil.
Trash Items used shown on left.
I forgot we were to have pictures of what trash that we used. The Cadillac Book was long gone but I photograph another similar one with a scrap left of the vellum.
Now you  have probably  figured out what car we drive and that my  DH smokes.
Guess you can learn about people's lives from their trash.

Other Challenges to enter:
Scrap-Creations: Winter Wishes
Anything Goes Challenge: Vintage-Shabby Chic
Crafter's Companion Monthly Challenge: Christmas Wishes
Christmas Card Challenges: Color Combo of Chocolate, and Cream- shades of red and brown in the vellum, card base is Cranberry, image on cream cs. Hope touches of gold are ok.

I enjoy all your comments. Thank you. Theresa

7 comments:

Payne Holler Cards said...

so very creative! gorgeous vintage "trash" LOL

Patti P. said...

How great is this...and love the vintage santa. You really are a trash saver and I love the story with it. So great that you have the vellum. I find that I keep things differently now than I ever did. This has been such a fun week with so much inspiration all around. Remember that we are doing this the first Saturday of every month...so you can be thinking about it for next time. Have a great weekend.
Patti SCH/DT

Olga said...

gorgoeus card, you are so clever!!

joy said...

Great card, Theresa! Love hearing where you obtained the vellum and gold foil.

The Other Patti Sue said...

It's amazing what a person can do with their trash.... AMAZING!!!

Alanna said...

What a lovely card. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Christmas Card Challenges.

CraftinGranny said...

Hi Theresa, Beautiful card my friend and I'm so glad you joined in the challenge at Anything Goes. Gorgeous stamp and colored so beautifully. Thanks so much for joining us at Anything Goes with this amazing creation. "Hugs" Carol