Monday, September 6, 2010

Summer Memories of Hummingbirds

The challenge at Flourishes Timeless Tuesday is to reflect on one of our summer activities and create a card capturing one of our favorite memories of Summer 2010. This is such a neat challenge from Traci.
One of my favorite summer activities is enjoying being outside in the garden or sitting on one of the benches watching the birds at the feeders. My DH is so good at filling the feeders. One of my fave summer birds is the hummingbird  who arrives in early spring but will be leaving soon  to go back south. I often wonder if we have the same hummers returning each year...they always seem to always know the locations of the feeders and their favorite flowers and stop in the same spots every summer. I like to think it is the same family returning each year to their northern home.

I created this card using a sketch from Beary Sweet Challenges shown on the right.
I used the Flourishes stamp set "Humming Along" and stamped  the Large Hummingbird which I colored with Copics, added some glitter with a gel pen, and cut out to mount with pop ups.
I stamped the trumpet vine with Memento Tuxedo Black on GKD  PL White CS and colored with Copics also.  I cut this image out using a Nesties oval die but left some of the vine extend out beyond the edge. The base card is orange CS which I distressed with Tim Holtz Brushed Corduroy ink to look less orange. Did a scallop edge with Fiskars scallop punch. Used Basic Grey diamond pattern paper from the Oliver
Paper pack ( love this paper) for the mat. Layered this with old lace from my stash and attached the images.  I used an orange chipboard cutout as a landing spot for the hummer. Was the perfect shape and size for this.  I positioned his beak inside one of the flowers so it appears he is drinking the nectar.  Finished the card with a tag as in the sketch. I printed this on the computer and you can read it in the photo below the card.
Other Challenges:
Alphabet Challenge Blog: S is for Scallops. Used scallop punch.
I finished the inside with birthday greetings and will send to my uncle who celebrates his birthday on Friday.
Papertake Weekly Challenge: Just one of something. Used one pattern paper.

10 comments:

Olga said...

Love the sketch but man look at the bird you colored!!!!Girl that is fantastic!!!!! Playing catching up with comments, love all the cards you posted the past few days!

Sue W said...

Theresa that is a beautiful card! Love the colour scheme and that you popped the Humming Bird up. Great job colouring too!

Patti said...

Absolutely beautiful! Love that image... one of my favs from Flourishes!

Payne Holler Cards said...

so beautiful! love that hummingbird (I love seeing them each year - we have a feeder on our window so we can see them up close)

Bev said...

Beautiful card - love the colours & image. Thanks for joining the Alphabet Challenge x

Lisa aka Myran said...

This is so beautiful! Thanks for joining us over at Papertake Weekly :)

Jamie said...

Wow, this is so fabulous! I absolutely love the colors and how the hummingbird seems to be flying off the page. Awesome! Thanks for joining in our Sketch Challenge and good luck!

Jamie from The Beary Scrap DT

Patricia said...

Very pretty card, Thanks for joining us at The Beary Sweet Challenge.
~Patricia
TBS DT

Carolina said...

Very pretty card. Thank you for joining the Alphabet challenge

Susan ~ Killam Creative said...

Hi Theresa - this is a wonderful card. I love the 3D hummingbird and the pull-out tag. Excellent use of our sketch, sweets!

Thanks for joining our Beary Sweet Challenge - good luck!

Cheers,
Susan